Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Sing Today



I took a day of vacation today to stay home and watch the Inauguration. I've never done this before. Even in 1993, as thrilled as I was with the election of Clinton, I went to work. But today is different. I can't express in words yet, why it is different. As the day progresses maybe I will be able to express myself.

For now though, I have to commit in writing a few words that Eugene Robinson on MSNBC just shared. He only said a couple of lines. I had to search for the rest. A poem by Langston Hughes that I am sure I have heard before. But it never seemed as relevant and breath-taking as it is today.

I, Too, Sing America - Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen

When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,

And grow strong.


Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am

And be ashamed--


I, too, am America.

No comments: