Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Out of the Mouths of Mouthy Broads



What a funky, gray day. One word succinctly sums up my mood - Blech!

It’s official, winter has now worn out its welcome.

On days like this many people daydream of lounging on beaches in Mexico or another similarly exotic local. I look for comfort in words. Specifically, words or phrases someone else spoke, at some point in the past. It could be the recent past or distant past. My only criteria are that I find humor or hope in the words and that I can relate to them. They speak to me.

Words reassure me. They are often the most permanent, tangible evidence of someone’s life. Pictures and memories fade. Words never do. And just a few words strung together can make someone I never knew and never could have known very real to me.

So, through the years I've collected quantities of strung together words that someone at some point said. They either express exactly how I felt at the moment of discovery or they have the ability to transform my mood.

And when my day is as crummy as today has been, my soul calls out for the words of a certain mouthy broad who died over forty years ago. She had balls before it was conceivable that women could have them. She was always herself, even if her true self was somewhat artificial and she never apologized for anything. And no matter what others think, the world needs a steady stream of mouthy broads if it is to survive, or at least survive with it’s sense of humor intact.

So here are strings of words attributed to a 20th century icon and a sometimes role model of mine - Tallulah Bankhead. I reached for them today when the gray was at its most black. I hope they lighten your mood, as they always lighten mine. And I hope that behind the tongue in cheek humor, you can see the nuggets of truth.

“If I had my life to live again, I’d make the same mistakes, only sooner.”

“Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.”

“I’m as pure as the driven slush.”

and my personal favorite -

“My father warned me about men and booze but he never said anything about women and cocaine.”

No comments: