Saturday, February 21, 2009

Random Rivulets of Reason


I see a line and feel compelled to blur it. I’m color blind to black and white.

Nothing pisses people off as much as someone advising they are only playing the “devil’s advocate.” The devil doesn’t need an advocate. He can make his own arguments. So I always avoid this trite catch phrase. But I never avoid the act. ... I argue. Therefore I am.

Regardless of the recent changes in government, the tone of discourse in this country seems to be getting worse each day. I am beginning to believe we should pass federal legislation requiring that “if you don’t have something nice to say about someone, don’t fucking say it!” That should shut the annoying assholes up. And don’t make me name names. You know who you are busters.

Ive read several articles this week by or about sanctimonious twits who feel compelled to point out the upside of another Great Depression, by using the far right code words that send shivers of fear down my spine: cultural renewal, rediscovered virtues, a return to modesty and … ugh … last but not least - family values.

Don’t get me wrong, I think each of these are excellent states of being. It’s the right’s, especially the religious right’s narrow minded, bigoted and exclusionary definitions of each that pisses me off. If I have my druthers, I say thanks, but no thanks to another Great Depression. If that is what it takes to get my morals in line I prefer to stay uncultured, lacking in virtue, immodest and of little value.

No comments: