Thursday, April 16, 2009

My Heart Aches

I have read about half of the Bush administration memos released today regarding the use of torture. I am not certain why I am finding the memos so shocking. While they only confirm what we already know, seeing the words in black and white has a very chilling affect.

I won't go into the apparent decision not to punish those that engaged in torture. If I think to much about what this failure to own up to our own worst faults says about this country, I will likely start crying and I can't do that right now.

I feel so personally appalled by our behavior as a nation, the need to apologize to the world is almost overwhelming.

As I have said before, I still don't understand why the rest of the world doesn't shun us, much like many fundamental religious sects shun their members who have left their faith. It would not surprise me if other countries simply turned their backs on us and acted as though we no longer exist.

There is absolutely no circumstance whatsoever when two wrongs can make a right. We have sunk to the level of all that we say we detest and identify as evil.

I rarely feel shame. But I feel it tonight.

No comments: