Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Percolating Reading #2


I wish I had the time to read everything that catches my attention on the web. Unfortunately, if I spent 24/7 reading, I still would not be able to read my fill. One of the ways I keep up with at least a small portion of what I want to read is to rely on several aggregators and bloggers who seem to instinctively know exactly what I want to read.

Bernie Latham at Brittle Hum of the Republic most consistently meets my taste. I generally agree with him on political issues but more importantly, his sense of the absurd and his concept of beauty tend to correlate with mine. He is always a must read. I told Bernie lately he had become my version of Internet Cliff Notes.

Bernie directs readers to Andrew Sullivan at The Daily Dish (The Atlantic Magazine online). I have no idea how Andrew pulls together all the information he is able to compile. I just know I am sure to find several posts of interest every day.

Bob Cesca's
Goddamn Awesome Blog! Go! is another favorite blog. It has several great writers and is almost always hysterically funny as well.

Alas, A Blog is interesting. They spend too much time discussing the TV series The Dollhouse and can take the whole "inherent worth of all people" /political correctness a little too far. But still an interesting read. It has multiple regular bloggers and a couple of them are great.

Like so many millions of people, my first stop every time I go online is Huffington Post. I read the blogs and I also get quick access to the best articles from every newspaper, magazine or website.

I'm still not sure how I feel about
The Daily Beast. I like some of their columnists, especially Christopher Buckley and Ana Marie Cox. (I can't believe I just said I liked a Buckley.) Their Cheat Sheet section is great if you just have a couple of minutes and want to know the headlines in quick order.

A new site I'm exploring is True/Slant. I haven't had a lot of time to spend perusing yet, but I might be in love. I will read about anything Matt Taibbi writes.

Finally a few articles I personally recommend. A couple are over a week old, I just haven't had a chance to post them yet.
From the New York Times - A City of Strangers and Kindness. My Father has Parkinson's. I'm not ashamed to admit this story made me cry.

Also from the Times - How to End a War, Eisenhower's Way. Thanks to Bernie or I would have missed this. I am rethinking Eisenhower's presidency in a more positive light.

From the Guardian - Age Shall Not Wither Them and the piece on Jezebel that led me to it - What if Women Weren't Afraid to Grow Old? Included a surprisingly telling quote from Madonna "Once you reach a certain age you're not allowed to be adventurous, you're not allowed to be sexual. I mean, is there a rule? Are you supposed to just die?"

Finally, last week's Newsweek Cover Story - The End of Christian America. The topic has been in the news continually lately. This article gives a great overview.

I noticed a headline today that asked if the Internet was making us "dumber". I am sure it probably can. I've spent a fair amount of time on websites that do nothing but present silliness. However, it can also make us more intelligent, of that I have no doubt. Its just trying to find enough hours in the day to cram all this knowledge into my head that trips me up.

No comments: