Tuesday, April 7, 2009

WAG #6 - Overheard

“WAG #6: Overheard” Another people-watching exercise this week! This time, let’s listen! Choose a stranger and do your best to overhear what they say, and then write it down. It can be on the phone, to someone else, or even them talking to themselves. What does their voice, word choice, or tone tell you about them? Feel free to write their exact words OR write it as you would for fictional dialogue. By now you guys know the rules aren’t what’s important, but the experience!

My overheard conversation (in a bar as you might guess). I've thought of adding to it, but I think it is complete unto itself.

"I thought you gave up drinking for Lent?"

"I did."

"Then what are you doing here and why are you drunk?"

"I gave up drinking. I didn't give up bars."

"And?"

"And what?"

"And if you gave up drinking why are you drunk?"

Long pause ...

"You know, I really don't know. Ask me later, when I'm sober."

Also a brief plug. If you write you probably love words. If you do and you haven't gone to http://www.savethewords.org/ go now, before it is too late. Save a word, while you still can.

9 comments:

Nixy Valentine said...

I love this... you really should figure a way to work this into a story. Made me laugh, but it was sorta sad too.

Sharon Donovan said...

I'm thinking t.v. show. Could be the start of something!

Mickey said...

Entertaining! I don't doubt the same scenario plays out all over the world during Lent.

Chris said...

Hahaha! Excellent! Absolutely loved it! :-D

Nancy J. Parra said...

Very funny! Great post-

J. M. Strother said...

Your instincts were right - it stands well on its own. Great bit of conversation.

Mickey said...
Entertaining! I don't doubt the
same scenario plays out all over
the world during Lent.

With food too. (My personal vice.)
~jon

J. M. Strother said...

Oh, and thanks so much for savethewords.org! Absolutely love it. Off to twitter about it now.
~jon

Lulu said...

Thanks for all the comments! I think I like reading everyone's comments on our posts even more than reading the posts. (Is that bad to admit??) This one was so easy, I almost feel guilty. I'd accumulated 2 or 3 other snippets of conversation but when I heard this (on Palm Sunday,no less)I knew this was a gem. And I agree, this is probably a universal conversation wherever the season of Lent is observed. Weird.

Lulu said...

Jon - glad you like Save the words. I decided to pick a word a day (or few days), use it in a sentence and post on twitter. Try and make a 140 letter story with my saved word.

Hope you have fun with it!

Lulu